Career Level Associate
Job Function Accounting & Finance
The purpose of this position is to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures, adherence to federal, state, local, and international tax laws, and be responsible for and assist with preparing workpapers for income tax matters, including tax accounting (ASC 740), federal, state and local income tax returns, and also support various business processes and conduct tax research as needed. This position will require the valid application of tax laws and regulations to achieve financial objectives, and will be a member of the Global Tax Department. Key responsibilities include being part of a team that works with the entire tax life cycle for income tax, including the opportunity to collaborate and provide support to the business by interpreting and simplifying tax laws / regulations, contributing fresh and innovative ideas in the context of continuous improvement, and participating on a team to ensure tax returns are scheduled, prepared, and timely filed.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in a dynamic environment, with a desire to learn new concepts and technical skills, and will have a willingness to conduct research, possess excellent oral and written communication skills, have an ability to independently solve problems, and possess great attention to detail. Furthermore, candidates should also have a positive attitude, possess excellent time management and organizational skills, and have the ability to work in a fluid and ever-changing environment as the business continues to expand and grow.
Renewable Energy Group (REG) is a leading provider of cleaner, lower carbon intensity products and services. We are an international producer of biomass-based diesel and North America’s largest producer of advanced biofuel. Over the past 10 years, we have averaged annual growth in both revenues and gallons sold of over 25% and continue to be strategic in our capital allocation for future growth and opportunities on a global basis.
Tax Accounting (ASC 740)
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual income tax accounting processes and calculations, including preparation of applicable workpapers, assessment and documentation of valuation allowances, permanent reinvestment, and uncertain tax positions, and the review of local country income tax accounting
- Conduct tax research of ASC 740 tax reporting issues
- Utilize tax technologies to execute tax accounting processes, including the identification and implementation of enhancements to streamline and improve
- Work with the Accounting Department and other functional areas in gathering information necessary for income tax provision and compliance processes
Life Cycle of Tax
- Utilize understanding of company processes, technology and systems, and data to ensure compliance processes are accurate
- Assist with the preparation and review of workpapers, schedules, etc. for US federal, state and local income tax returns
- Accurately document positions in support of filed tax returns by interpreting research and applying to business transactions and fact patterns
- Facilitate the timely filing of tax returns and payments in relevant jurisdictions
- Contribute to the execution of income tax audits
- Clearly communicate with taxing authorities during the audit process to ensure risk is managed and company positions are not compromised
- Ensure documentation is maintained to support and track communications with tax authorities during a tax audit
- Perform data, account, and other reconciliations, as needed, to support internal controls and processes
- Conduct research and apply income tax laws to proposed and existing business transactions, and prepare memos to document positions as needed
- Analyze fact patterns and recommend solutions by logically applying tax law to support positions within tax policies
- Assist and advise internal stakeholders with understanding how tax laws impact company operations by being clear and concise in communications
- Ensure quality of all advice, communications, and work products, by maintaining professional and technical knowledge
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to achieve issue resolution and common ground
- Manage the execution of special projects by involving key stakeholders, leading efficient meetings, conducting timely status updates, and delivering results
- Prioritize projects and effectively communicate to stakeholders in accomplishing individual, team, and company goals
- Assist and contribute to internal processes needed to support business objectives and manage tax risk
- Recommend improvements to internal operations and processes that support business activities
- Leverage knowledge of income tax laws and reporting requirements to increase operational efficiencies and effectiveness
- Broaden network of relationships to better understand the business and internal operations to recommend innovative ways to accomplish company and team goals
- Understand and utilize technology to improve efficiencies, accuracy, and manage tax risk
- Recommend process improvements and/or new technologies that will enhance efficiency and effectiveness
- Delegate certain tasks to staff while holding self accountable to tax and company management
- Organize, plan, and lead cross functional meetings to discuss opportunities and projects
- Coach and mentor other employees and peers, including with new hires during onboarding process
- Train others, including the cross training of other departments on tax technical concepts, and onboarding new employees regarding tax department responsibilities and processes
- Collaborate with other departments and contribute to team effort by accomplishing goals and objectives
- Comply with company policies and procedures
- Perform other projects and tasks as assigned
Education Required: 4-year Tax, Accounting, Finance, or related degree.
Experience Required: 2-6 years of corporate income tax experience; with specific experience regarding income tax provision calculations and disclosures under ASC 740. Experience working with income tax compliance and/or provision software a plus. Some knowledge of Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne or other enterprise software programs like SAP and People Soft and its applications a plus.
Skills Required: Ability to use office equipment as described in job description, comprehensive math, algebraic and logic skills, good organizational skills, good oral and written skills, leadership skills ability to learn REG products/services, and ability to use spreadsheet and word processing software.