Career Level Associate
Job Function Information Technology
ADVANCE Energy is seeking a GIS Specialist to join our team in our Boulder, Colorado office on either a part or full-time basis. Remote locations also considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Spatial analysis, renewable project siting, field staff support, and research and development.
- Support wind and solar resource modeling efforts through technical geospatial analysis processes.
- Create high-quality static and interactive maps for site analysis, presentation, publication, wind & solar generation layouts.
- Assess and validate development constraints.
- Provide independent data interpretation while effectively maintaining data documentation.
- Create and modify GIS datasets; manage and maintain legacy GIS datasets; develop and implement GIS-based analyses to support AE’s client work around the US.
- Core responsibility includes processing data and graphics requests from project team members and anticipating information needs and presentation format as part of engineering and survey workflows.
- Develop and maintain geospatial data on desktop and mobile applications. Ensure data meets appropriate data accuracy and content standards for quality assurance and quality control.
- Coordinate use of outside consultants for additional GIS, surveying, modeling, analytical, environmental and development activities.
- Occasional field work to validate proposed development via GPS.
Required Skills / Experience / Qualities:
- Demonstrated capabilities in GIS and an interest in the intersection of spatial analysis and renewable energy project development.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience as a GIS Specialist, GIS Analyst, or a related field.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office products (excel, powerpoint, and word) and Google docs
- Hands-on knowledge of Esri ArcGIS desktop software, including ArcMap.
- Persistent curiosity and determination to arrive at the best solution given available data.
- Able to work with diverse group of individuals (project managers, developers, consultants, asset management and other technical staff).
- Strong and clear interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Produce quality work that brings value to the team and company and a willingness to take the “extra-step” in delivering the highest quality work product (i.e., a desire for excellence).
- Strong understanding of geodatabases and geodatabase applications.
- Ability to work with vector and raster datasets.
- Experience using ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Portal, or another web mapping system.
- Familiar with GPS data collection and data management, including Collector for ArcGIS.
- Ability to use and edit shapefiles and geodatabases (personal, file, and enterprise).
- Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datum’s.
- Familiarity with standard cartographic methods, theories and principles.
- Ability to independently manage multiple assignments, determine and set job task priorities and work with limited direct supervision.
- Willingness to learn and approach your work in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Preferred but not required
- Previous work in or familiarity with consulting engineers and/or surveyors.
- Experience using AutoCAD and DWG files.
- Experience using Google Earth and KMZ files.
- Experience with additional GIS software / databases / spatial programming languages (QGIS, PostGIS, ArcPy, etc.).
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.