Career Level Associate
Job Function ConstructionEngineering
We’re committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
Piping Designer is responsible to complete and check piping systems of complex facilities in conformance with project specifications, standards, codes, procedures, scope of work, design parameters, industry practices, P&IDs, line list, stress information and vendor data. Additional responsibilities include modular design and layout based on major equipment placement and P&IDs. Experience in the following industry segments: petrochemical, downstream refining and terminals.
- Work with project team members to design, layout detailed components and systems to resolve design issues, assisting engineers with initial design and final design solutions on a project.
- Conceptualize plans, details, and elevation sections to accurately convey construction or fabrication requirements.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies and to reduce production and construction problems.
- Responsible for creating, checking and back-checking 3D models, piping plans, elevations and sections.
- Ensure compliance with approved design standards to provide quality design.
- Coordinate vendor supplied drawings, information, or cut-sheets into project.
- Extract and create Bill of Material from models and external information.
- Communicate and interface with the Project Engineer, Project Manager, and other project team members.
- Attend project meetings as required.
- Support Client Operation improvement projects.
- Support training requirements for the team
Education and Experience:
- A combination of education and/or relevant experience in mechanical design / drafting focusing on piping design for modular systems.
- 10+ years of piping design experience in heavy industrial environment.
- 10+ years of experience in engineering and construction industry.
- 5+ years of experience in CADWorx
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree (four year college or university) in mechanical design / drafting is preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in current release of AutoCAD and Cadworx Plant, Revit, Equipment, and P&ID, Isogen, and Excel
- Knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards.
- Must be familiar with piping specifications, administrative, and technical practices, design instructions, plot plans, flow diagrams and interpreting vendor information.
- Able to conceptualize and draw design details independently with minor instruction.
- Expertise in creating conceptual layout and design configuration for pump and piping facilities.
- Expertise in creating construction/fabrication isometrics and as built drawings.
- Knowledge of foundation and pipe support requirements.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills are critical, as required to meet with customers, relay project status or change information, and maintain a professional image that reflects positively on the organization.
- Analytical and problem solving skills, for proactively developing and implementing solutions to problems with assigned projects.
- Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Highly motivated, eager to contribute to the establishment of an effective and efficient drafting/design team.
- Must be a critical and economic thinker.
- Must be able to communicate complex technical concepts to engineers, and public stakeholders using good verbal and written communication skills
- This position may require occasional travel.