Career Level Associate
Job Function Construction
- Assist and/or provide training and support to the Service Technicians so that each technician clearly understands how to perform component assembly, commissioning, testing, repair and maintenance on wind turbine generators, related equipment, and support equipment that is associated with the wind farm
- Train and support Service Technicians in preventative maintenance processes, such as Infrared Fault Detection Surveys, Corona Surveys, Ultrasonic Surveys, etc.
- Lead and support the Service Technicians in troubleshooting, calibration, repair, and retrofitting of low to medium voltage electrical, mechanical and hydraulic components that are a part of the wind turbine and its associated switch gear
- Conduct and review safety analyses of potential electrical and mechanical hazards in the wind turbines, switch room, and the O&M building
- Train personnel in the proper use of safety gear, protective equipment, and control of energy sources to ensure work is performed in a safe manner
- Be proficient at Root Cause Analyses to accurately determine equipment failure and the reason for failures when they occur
- Monitor the tool inventory at the wind farm, maintain consumables and spare parts inventory.
- Provide leadership to the Service Technicians
- Train and assist Service Technicians on proper methods for performing preventative maintenance tasks on all wind turbines and associated equipment
- Ensure that safety, health requirements and cleanliness of facility and equipment are met
- Schedule and track the progress of wind turbine preventative maintenances in order to meet established guide lines
- Maintain required training certifications and qualifications
- Other responsibilities as assigned
This position requires fieldwork and is in a wind farm environment, primarily during normal business hours. However, the site operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, which will include changes of shift, overtime, and includes exposure to heat, cold, noise, dust and humidity. Ability to climb turbine towers daily (up to 300 feet) as required. Participate in an on-call schedule. Willing to work overtime, holidays, weekends, and on short notice during planned/unplanned/emergency site outages. Helps in all areas of facility operations as directed by the Site or Area Services Manager. Willing to travel approximately 5-10% for training and assist other Nordex USA facilities when needed.
· Two year associates degree or technical school certificate, or 4 or more years of directly related work experience in lieu of a degree/technical certificate
· 3-5 years directly related work experience
· Maintain required training certifications as required to perform assigned job assignments
· Familiarity with mechanical and electrical testing equipment (i.e. various hand and power tools)
· Ability to be certified and work with both medium and high voltage equipment
· Must be proficient with computers and standard software applications
· Ability to work in a fast paced environment
· Flexibility to work overtime and rotating shifts as required
· Able to work independently or in a team environment
· Ability to climb vertical ladders, work at heights of 100 meters and move and manipulate up to 50 pounds
· Ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in adverse and extreme weather conditions, in dust, pollen, weeds, grasses, and in confined spaces is required
· Must maintain a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
· Ability to safely travel to the wind farm within 45 minutes in the event of an emergency
· Must be able to obtain a U.S. Passport
· Ability to travel to domestic and international locations for work and/or training for extended periods of time.
· Experience with SAP/ J.D. Edwards and Maximo systems a plus
· Ability to meet specific OSHA and ANSI weight limits of 250 to 300lbs. max.
Work may involve lifting of materials up to 50 pounds. Working in this environment requires the use of safety equipment to include but is not limited to: eye safety glasses; hearing protectors; steel-toe boots; and hardhats. Loose fitting clothes and jewelry are not permitted.