Career Level Associate
Job Function Project Management
8minute Solar Energy is the largest privately-held developer of solar and storage projects in the United States. We have one of the best development teams in the industry with a track record of delivering above-market profitability and strong financial returns on utility-scale solar and storage projects. We are seeking the best and brightest people to help make clean energy abundant.
About the Position:
The Sr. Substation Project Engineer will be responsible for substation engineering during the different stages of solar projects development and construction phases. This position will be supporting the project development team in selecting the location of the project’s substation, define the scope of work, prepare RFP (Request for Proposal) documentations and review EPC proposals. During construction phase, the substation project engineer will provide engineering support to project’s manager acting as the owner engineer, reviewing engineering drawings and ensure project’s requirements are met during the design and construction of the project’s interconnection facilities.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
- Create solar PV interconnection substation conceptual design
- Create substations and MV circuit single line diagrams
- Specify main equipment including main power transformers, high/medium voltage breakers and switches
- Create substation layout and generation tie transmission line routing
- Review technical exhibits of interconnection agreements and power purchase agreements to ensure requirement stated in these contracts are reasonable and achievable
- Ensure the knowledge and requirements are transferred from the project’s development to project’s construction phases ensuring compliance
- Lead project’s substation and generation tie line optimization process
- Review engineering drawings generated by consultants and contractors to ensure project’s requirements are met
- Review substation conduit plan and detailed design, duct banks, cable trays.
- Review substation Protection and Control systems, relay one-line diagrams, schematic diagrams, and control panel layouts and wiring diagrams.
- Review substation and transmission line protection system design
- Review control building layout, cable trays and raceways.
- Review grounding system design
- Review substation DC and AC systems, sizing batteries, distribution panels, sizing breakers and fuses.
- Review communication systems, microwave multiplexers, splicing OPGW fibers inside substation yards and utilize ADSS cables to connect substation control building.
- Interface with the local interconnection authority (utility) and other key stakeholders (transmission/balancing authority, etc.) to ensure all interconnection design requirements are met and addressed within the project schedule requirements
- Manage third-party consultants providing technical services to the development and construction of the project
- Upholding and being an exemplar of 8minute Energy’s culture and standards of performance
- BSEE w/ emphasis in power systems engineering, MS a plus, from an accredited university
- PE license a plus
- Minimum Five (5) years in AC power systems design; must include significant medium and high voltage (up to 500kV) substation, transmission line, and switchgear design experience
- Minimum 2-3 years of project engineering experience in CAISO or ERCOT
- Must have the ability to work on AutoCAD to modify drawings as needed
- Experience with power system modeling software packages such as SKM, ETAP, ASPEN, EasyPower, or similar
- Must demonstrate strong engineering, design, and communication skills, and an ability to work in a dynamic team environment to think outside the box and solve traditional problems in new ways
- In-depth knowledge of power system components and sizing methods including their specifications, cost, efficiency, code compliance, performance, and reliability
- In-depth knowledge of safety features, grounding, disconnects, SCADA, system testing, and troubleshooting
- Well-versed in all applicable codes (NEC, UL, NESC, CAS, IEEE, etc.)
- Must be self-motivated, extremely thorough, have excellent organizational skills and professional integrity
- Must be able to balance multiple projects while working under tight deadlines
- Must communicate effectively in both written and verbal mediums, to internal and external customers
- Must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment that requires ownership of results